- This event has passed.
SysMIC Module 1 Course
The next SysMIC Module 1 course will start on Monday 16th April 2018
SysMIC was developed with BBSRC funding and is a comprehensive online course in interdisciplinary skills in the life sciences. Almost 2,000 participants have enrolled on SysMIC since its beginning in 2013.
The course targets vulnerable skills as identified by the recent joint BBSRC, MRC and Royal Society of Biology Investigation. SysMIC provides introductory and advanced training in mathematics, statistics and computing for bioscientists.
Key topics are:
- Network biology
- Mechanistic modeling, and
- Data analysis
Participants will gain an understanding of:
- Programming in MATLAB and R
- Analysing, modelling and simulating biological systems
- Statistical analysis for bioscience research
The materials are developed around intuitive biological examples. Each topic includes:
- Reading materials
- Code examples
- Hands on support provided by online tutors
- Access to extensive mathematical background material
Three modules are available, each lasting six months and requiring about five hours work per week:
Module 1 – Basic Skills for Quantitative Biology
Module 2 – Advanced Skills for Quantitative Biology
Module 3 – Individual Research Project
See what students say about SysMIC here
Participants who complete a module gain a certificate detailing their achievements. In addition, the course is approved by the Royal Society of Biology for the purposes of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and is worth 360 points per module on their CPD scheme. This can be used towards Chartered Biologist status.
Funding the course:
- Discounts are available for group bookings. Please contact the SysMIC Team at email@example.com
- Eligible expenditure for BBSRC PhD student RTSG funds or postdoc or technician training within a grant.
- MRC flexible funding can also be used to support students. Details can be found here
The deadline for enrollment is Friday 6thApril 2018.